Monday, October 12, 2009

Meet A Maker- The Knit Owl

We'd like to introduce you to this week's Meet A Maker!
Meet Amby Franks Barnes, creator of The Knit Owl
Location: Tulsa, Oklahoma
the awesomeness:
fabric button rings & bobby pins, wristlet key fobs, and NEW cowls, fingerless gloves and Grecian style headbands!!

*how did you come up with the name The Knit Owl?
I had just started knitting, something I had wanted to learn forever! I seriously used to ask my friends if they had a grandmother that could teach me. Finally, I made myself just figure it out. Around the same time I had started obsessing over cute vintage owls. So the two just came together in my head one day! It's also kind of a play on words, "night owl."


*Can you tell us a little about your background and what compelled you to start a craft business?

My mom is super crafty, so I grew up watching her make lots of cool things. She was always encouraging me to learn, especially when it came to sewing. I wasn't quite as into it as a child, but a few years ago I got a sewing machine and just got inspired to give it another go. I started by making tote bags as gifts and had so much fun that I wondered if I could sell them. I was really unhappy with the job I had at the time and the thought of doing something I enjoyed sounded amazing! At the same time, sites like Etsy were starting to become successful. Once I did a little research and saw just how many people were trying to make a living by selling handmade, I got so excited and dove in from there!


*Where does your inspiration come from?

I read about 15 fashion blogs everyday along with my magazine subscriptions! It really gets my mind going. I also get a lot of ideas whenever I find a new batch of vintage fabric. I always know immediately what each piece will become.


*2 favorite websites?

I can't get enough of this blog: http://cupcakesandcashmere.com/
This is a fun site if you knit or crochet: https://www.ravelry.com/

*What’s next for The Knit Owl?
Well, it's fall and this is when things get really busy and fun! I plan to be at Indie Emporium and some other shows this year. So I am working hard to make some new products. I'm really focusing on cowls and scarves, both crocheted and knit.


*Any tips or advice for anyone starting their own craft business?

Be sure you enjoy making the product, because if it takes off you'll be making a lot of it!!


* 5 random facts about you!

1. Without realizing it, I obsess over a certain color every fall. Last year it was mustard and this year it's navy! I just start noticing a trend in what I buy. Weird, I know.
2. I drink hot tea every morning. It's like my coffee.
3. I love to bake and cook.
4. Rainy days are my favorite.
5. Last but not least, I am a total Twihard...meaning I love Twilight and think everyone should read and see the movies! It's fun to indulge the teenage girl in me.


You can find The Knit Owl at The Felt Bird!!
Wanna know more about Amby and The Knit Owl?
MYSPACE: CLICK HERE
TWITTER: CLICK HERE
SHOP: CLICK HERE

THANKS AMBY!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well cool, I learned a few things about Amby I didn't already know. She's such a cutie too! You rock, Amby!!

    ReplyDelete