Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Meet A Maker-Collected Thread

We'd like to introduce you to this week's Meet A Maker!
Meet Lindsay Zodrow, creator of the lovely handmade and vintage boutique Collected Thread
Location: Oklahoma City, Oklahoma
the awesomeness: sewn headbands & hand-bound journals made from old books

*how did you come up with the name Collected Thread?
My husband actually came up with it. We wanted a name that represented what we were doing in the store, bringing different creative people together within the store.


*Can you tell us a little about your background and what compelled you to start a craft business?
I studied studio art at Oklahoma State University with a focus on sculpture. I have always been drawn to found objects and get a kick out of making them into something else. I have an installation in the store where i attached hundreds of wooden spools to the brick wall in an abstract wave like pattern. Most of my customers don't even notice it when they come in but it makes me so happy.
I have always made things as long as I can remember. When i moved to Oklahoma City, I became friends with a girl named Nora Bonnell. She makes the most beautiful clothing. We started a traveling craft sale where we would set up in different businesses and sell our work with other people. The store sort of evolved out of that market.

(handmade dress by Nora Bonnell)

*Where does your inspiration come from?

Good conversations, color, antique stores, a good book, local musicans such as Other Lives, Sherree Chamberlain Band, Colormusic, Mayola, and Ben Hill.


*2 favorite websites?

decor8blog.com
etsy.com



*What’s next for Collected Thread?

We are working on carrying a bunch of handmade houseware items. We are pretty pumped about it!



*Any tips or advice for anyone starting their own craft business?
Have a lot of grace for yourself. You are going to mess up a million times. Enjoy the challenge of not knowing what you are doing.





* 5 random facts about you!
-Newsies is my all time favorite movie with Little Women and Almost Famous coming in 2nd and 3rd place.
-My husband and I have a green scooter namder Herman and we loved him very much.
-In Junior and High school, i didn't go out a lot. I really enjoyed painting random slogans,bible verses, and images on the walls of my closet. I was not the coolest kid.
-My husband is the interior designer in our home. I always get the credit for how our home is set up but it is totally him.
-My favortie candy is Sour Patch Kids. I eat them until my tongue is raw.

You can find Lindsay's sewn headbands and book journals at The Felt Bird!
Be sure to stop by her amazing handmade boutique next time you're in OKC!

Collected Thread is located at 1705A NW 16th Street OKC, OK 73106
Open: Tuesdays - Saturdays 11 to 7pm!

Wanna know more about Lindsay and Collected Thread?
TWITTER: CLICK HERE!
MYSPACE: CLICK HERE!
WEBSITE: CLICK HERE!

Thanks Lindsay!!

No comments:

Post a Comment